a kind of breakfast cereal consisting typically of rolled oats, brown sugar or honey, dried fruit, and nuts.
So last night I was pondering what to feature for today’s Frugal Friday. Thankfully I was pondering this while stirring a small batch of granola so viola, the answer came to me!
If you are a fan of granola I really hope you’ve already tried making it. If you are a fan of Trader Joe’s and buy theirs…shame on you! It is is a super delicious, easy and inexpensive thing to make. I whipped up a small batch last night while I was cooking dinner, and it was so good we kept picking at it long past dessert. In fact I had a breakfast meeting this morning with an amazing spread, and I missed out on all of it because I was full of granola!
Granola, and muesli (the unbaked granola) are very versatile, and frankly full of whatever your heart desires. In this case since I don’t eat it daily and I love the rich color and tastiness, I include a touch more than a wee bit of butter and sugars 🙂
What I used: (these are good amounts for one or two people)
- 4 cups oats
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup cashew pieces
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 cube and 1/2 cube of butter
- 1/3 cup honey
What I did:
- Preheat oven to 325F, when you’re done mixing it should be ready
- Melt the butter in the microwave
- Add oats, nuts, and sugar to a big bowl, mix it all up
- Add honey to the melted butter and mix
- Add the liquid gold to the bowl of goodies and stir it all up until everything is coated
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring ever 7-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on wax paper (otherwise it will stick to your pan)
- Once cool, store in cereal container or ziplock, and enjoy!