After David and I were married for a while I asked if there was anything I hadn’t made yet that he wanted me to make, and that is how I was introduced to my mother in law Irene’s Spanish Rice. The story on this is that my MIL got it from HER MIL, Ruby. So a Morris family classic (also known as made from what was available and you could get your hands on in rural Peru in the 1950’s)
This is another super simple one, and you can make all the ingredients ahead, or it is also great as leftovers. Here it is cooking up:
What I use:
- ground beef
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- chili powder
What I do:
- Start the rice either on the stove top or in a rice maker (about 2 cups dried)
- Brown the ground beef (1lb)
- Season with salt and pepper
- When both are cooked add the rice to the beef, add a can of petite diced tomatoes (I prefer the smaller size, but whatever) and a small can of tomato sauce, mix it up.
- Add dried oregano (about 1T)
- Add chili pepper (about 1T, but then adjust for spiciness preference)
- Cook together on medium for 10-15 minutes then serve.